Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Kickstarter Plea: Go back the Heroes Doc (please!!!)



I have a somewhat selfish plea for all of you: go back the Heroes Doc on kickstarter.  As of the writing of this post, the project is not fully funded and it deserves to be.  Am I coming from a bit of a biased stance in encouraging you to spend your money on supporting this documentary? Perhaps, but that doesn't make it any less worthy of your hard earned dollars. 

Some of you might be wondering why this would be a biased plea and I am happy to disclose my connections to the documentary.  Many of you know that Seth works for Heroes Aren't Hard to Find and I've been volunteering at HeroesCon since 2008 working myself up from volunteer to convention staff.  The wonderful guys behind the documentary have not only filmed interviews with both Seth and me, but our wedding reception in the Heroes store as well.  Of course, I am hoping to see those interviews and a joyous occasion in our lives captured in this documentary, even if only at a glimpse.  

However, I would be remiss not to tell you about all the hard work and long hours this crew has put in capturing, well, all the hard work and long hours the staff and family at Heroes puts into the running of both the store and the con.  Jere and Randy, two of the guys I know the best, actually managed to beat Seth and me to Heroes events (and we're generally the earliest ones there).  There have been lots of early mornings and late nights involved just in the filming of the Heroes Doc.  I can only imagine the time that will be put into editing all the great footage they've captured in what is sure to be a wonderful end product.  

You might be wondering what these guys have been recording since August 2011.  The answer would be a lot.  Not only did they cover special events like the Pop Swap, the annual December sale, the Mini-Con and Free Comic Book Day, but they captured the true behind the scenes work that gets comics from Diamond to your reserve bag every Wednesday.  There's a lot of work to make sure those copies of Wolverine and the X-Men, Wonder Woman, and the Walking Dead end up in the right bags as well as the shelves each week.  I've only assisted in the pull and re-order sorts and I got my fair share of paper cuts and chipped nails making sure comics get in their correct places.

Of course, the documentary captures all the work behind HeroesCon from all the prep the staff does to the actual convention itself.  There were somewhere between five to seven cameras capturing all the action of the 30th Anniversary of the show.  They were recording confessionals with attendees, guests and staff throughout the weekend.  I really want to see those cosplayer interviews I caught glimpses of from the Info Booth!!

Most importantly, the Heroes Doc captures the best part of Heroes Aren't Hard to Find: the family element.  I'm not talking about the biological connection between Shelton and his two kids, Shelley and Winslow, who both work at the store, but rather the feeling of a family you choose amongst the staff as well as the creators and fans that flock to HeroesCon each year.  HeroesCon is like a family reunion with all the relatives you like the most (ok, maybe with a drunk uncle or two thrown in, but hey, we can always use more humor in our lives).  I felt that connection more than ever last year, following the unexpected loss of my mother a week before the con.  No matter which direction I turned, someone was waiting with a hug, a kind word, something to eat or just a familiar smile.  Like any wonderful family, Heroes takes care of its own.

With that, I ask you sweetly, to make your way over to kickstarter and help the hard working guys behind the Heroes Doc fund this project that is so very close to our hearts here on the Exile blog.    

No comments:

Post a Comment